For every business in the healthcare sector, balancing between operational and administrative tasks can be daunting. A healthcare software system with the right set of medical tools is a great way to improve the efficiency of clinical workflows. It offers a suite of electronic health record (EHR), telemedicine, e-prescribing, and medical research tools.
Healthcare tools, as a subcategory of medical software, allow users to streamline operational and administrative tasks from a central interface. Some of these tasks are patient registration, patient records management, appointment scheduling, charge and code capture, billing and invoicing, and reporting. Such healthcare tools also help ensure regulatory compliance with data privacy laws such as HIPAA.
In this article, we’ve discussed the top ten medical and healthcare software tools featured on Software Advice, listed alphabetically, to identify the best solution for you. (Refer to the methodology section for more details.)
Notable features: Admissions management, Appointment scheduling, and Billing & Invoicing
AllegianceMD is a cloud-based medical software comprising EHR, practice management, patient management, patient portal, and self-check-in kiosk. The software combines multiple features such as handling medical records, patient information, and billing into a central system. Patients can fill out their medical history and demographics online using AllegianceMD’s pre-set parameters.
With artificial intelligence (AI), AllegianceMD improves decision making, automates schedule management, provides users with data on prescriptions, and enables accurate claim filing. The software uses machine learning techniques to memorize treatment and diagnosis choices for faster charting. It provides patients with drug-drug interaction, allergy list, and drug-disease interaction access, reducing errors.
Allegiance MD offers email and message support. The tool runs on both Windows and macOS.
Notable features: EMR/EHR, Multi-Physician, and HIPAA Compliant
Benchmark Systems suite offers an electronic healthcare toolset to streamline and automate clinical operations. Its electronic health record (EHR) tool enables care teams to access clinical chart information, improve patient care, assure compliance and continuity while boosting efficiency and lowering costs.
Benchmark Systems Software practice management solution helps with patient onboarding, appointment scheduling, reminders, billing, reporting, data collection, and claims management. It also provides a patient portal to record test results, obtain medication refills, and see appointment summaries. The software comes with a customizable revenue cycle management (RCM) tool that handles claim filing, revisions and submissions, and recording demographic information.
Benchmark Systems offers email, phone, and live chat support. The tool is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Notable features: Treatment planning, Self service portal, and Practice management
Compulink Healthcare Solutions offers a suite of medical and healthcare tools such as EHR, practice management, telehealth, ambulatory surgical center, and revenue cycle management. The software enables specialization-specific customization for chiropractic, dermatology, eye care, orthopedic, urology, and podiatry, among others.
Compulink Healthcare Solutions use a HIPAA-compliant patient portal, lab integrations, patient scheduling, electronic billing, and registration features for an enhanced experience. Users can configure dashboards, control workflows, and create databases using its customization features.
Compulink Healthcare Solutions offers email, phone, and live chat support.
Notable features: Medical billing, Treatment planning, and E-prescribing
InSync Healthcare Solutions is a cloud-based medical and healthcare software with EHR, practice management, medical billing, telemedicine, and interoperability applications. The software has a patient portal for progress charting and maintaining all patients’ records. It enables users to organize patient records, track their medical history, access lab reports, check demographic data, and analyze results.
InSync’s EHR tool helps medical professionals configure workflows using custom dashboards, forms, templates, and assessments. The software provides access to lab findings, patient forms, and electronic prescription data under one roof. It also automates billing and invoicing to handle claims more efficiently.
InSync Healthcare Solutions integrates with e-prescription and EMR tools to enable professionals and patients to access historical prescriptions and track treatment progress.
InSync Healthcare Solutions offer email, phone, and live chat support.
Notable features: Care plan management, Client portal, and Charting
Medesk is a cloud-based medical practice management platform with clinical and business features such as automated scheduling, booking, electronic health records (EHR), video consultations, and CRM. The healthcare tool helps medical professionals keep track of their patients’ medical history, monitor their treatment progress, upload and store documents, and handle billing.
Medesk’s reporting feature allows practitioners to get actionable insights and feedback on services, finances, sales, and marketing activities. The tool offers customizable templates for prescriptions, referrals, patient history sheets, and permission forms. Elements such as color-coded labels and tags help segregate appointments, reminders, activities, payments and conducting video consultations.
Medesk has an application programming interface (API), allowing businesses to use third-party applications, including Google Calendar, PayU, Stripe, and Xero, to conduct successful remote patient monitoring. It offers iOS and Android mobile applications.
Notable features: Patient record management, Self service portal, and Appointment scheduling
ModMed, also known as Modernizing Medicine, equips a healthcare provider with specialty solutions including EHR, practice management, inventory management, revenue cycle management, patient engagement, interoperability, and ePrescribing. Its telehealth system integrates with EHR and EMR tools to enable audio and video telemedicine capabilities. These tools also deliver charting and advanced capabilities such as specialty-specific EMRs and medical coding.
ModMed’s practice management system assesses patient eligibility before appointments and provides time slots based on individual needs. It also specifies further steps, descriptions of follow-up treatment, and suggestions upon check-out.
ModMed offers email, phone, and chat support. The tool has a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices.
Notable features: Assessment management, E-Prescribing, and EMR/EHR
NueMD Software offers a suite of healthcare tools and features such as practice management, electronic health, appointment scheduling, record keeping, medical billing, and reporting. NueMD’s HIPAA-compliant claims clearinghouse allows medical billing users to handle an infinite number of claims. It also includes credit card processing and one-click paper claims.
Medical professionals and healthcare staff can use NueMD’s ONC-ATCB certified EHR to configure their clinical workflow with charting, e-prescribing, laboratory report monitoring, and secure fax management. NueMD’s patient portal allows users to communicate, schedule appointments, access medical history, and lab results. It also allows users to document medical data electronically, preventing manual errors.
NueMD Software offers email, phone, and live chat support. The tool has a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices.
Notable features: HIPAA Compliant, Patient intake, and Claims management
OmniMD helps track, manage, and monitor clinical operations and medical practices. Its EHR tool makes patient charting, data transfer, and reporting easy. The software comes with an integrated practice management and billing system to enhance scheduling, simplify claims processing, and ensure faster payments. OmniMD comes with a self-help patient portal that enables easy access to patient records, bill payments, appointment scheduling, and e-prescription requests.
The healthcare tool is equipped with a telehealth solution with real-time audio and video capabilities, enhancing telemedicine. OmniMD delivers and maintains a list of critical operational, financial, and clinical reports in an accessible format, having important metrics and adequate information. It also allows users to create new reports as per business needs.
OmniMD offers email, phone, and chat support. The healthcare tool has a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices.
Notable features: Customizable dashboard, Customizable template, and E-prescribing
RXNT is a cloud-based medical software suite equipped with EHR, medical scheduling, patient management, billing, and practice management, among other tools. Its key features include customizable reporting, claims tracking, patient engagement, records management, electronic referrals, and resource scheduling.
Its electronic health records (EHR) solution streamlines patient record management, enhances communication between patient and healthcare professional, and helps medical staff share clinical data. Customizable reports in RXNT’s practice management (PM) system enable users to track and evaluate practice data and revenues.
RXNT’s telehealth medical tool integrates video and audio platforms for live consultations. It allows doctors, consultants, and health professionals to access patients’ records and prescription history, schedule appointments for patients, and request and review lab reports.
RXNT offers email, phone, and live chat support. The tool has a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices.
Notable features: Patient portal, Patient communications, and HIPAA compliant
Vcita is a practice management software with a HIPAA compliant portal to help medical practitioners and healthcare professionals manage their patients, appointments, and documents. It automates appointment scheduling, patient follow-ups, and payment collection, minimizing manual paperwork.
This clinic management software provides a self-service module wherein patients can book their appointments, pay bills, and share medical reports. Vcita sends automated appointment reminders to reduce no-shows. The software tracks and organizes client interactions, appointment history, and other details to help users maintain client records.
Vcita offers email, phone, and chat support. The tool has a mobile app for both iOS and Android devices.
How to choose the right healthcare tool for your business
The medical tools mentioned above can get you started on your software search, but to find the best healthcare tools that fit your requirements, we recommend following these steps.
- Choose a tool that suits your speciality: The software you choose should align with your medical speciality requirements and goals. There are intricacies to different medical specializations that a general healthcare tool may not represent. For example, a podiatrist has different requirements from a dentist. Therefore, you should consider if the software serves the functional and technical aspects of your specialization.
- Choose a tool that captures patients’ data: Whether you are conducting in-person or remote consultations, you need to track all details such as patient information, billable hours, and prescriptions. Hence, your chosen software should be able to track all the necessary details and automatically create a respective patient record. Such healthcare tools simplify patient data management.
- Choose a tool that integrates with your existing software: Some medical software systems may not integrate well with your specialization-specific system. For instance, your daily operations may get hindered if your practice management tool doesn’t integrate well with your EHR software. Select a tool that is compatible with all other solutions you are using.
- Choose a tool that complies with security policies: The healthcare tool you choose should comply with regulatory requirements of standard rules and regulations such as HIPAA compliance or FDA, to provide complete encryption of patients’ information. Such software prevents data breaches by controlling data access and encrypting patient interactions.
Common questions to ask while selecting healthcare tool
Here are some questions to ask healthcare software providers before making a final purchase:
- What type of deployment and access options are available? It is better to invest in a cloud-based solution to ensure a high standard of safety and privacy. It also provides easy access to patients’ information on any device from any location.
- Does it offer reporting and data analysis? For your practice to stay afloat, you’ll need more than just monitoring your revenue cycle. With detailed reporting and data analysis, you’ll be able to forecast and possibly optimize your cash flow.
- What is the cost to upgrade? Understand the breakdown or comparison of the features included in each healthcare tool you consider. Even though many solutions are now cloud-based, you may be charged for some features such as training or upgrades.
- Which technical support channels does this software use? Check the technical assistance options you’ll be getting with the healthcare tool. Also, consider the available technical support channels such as real-time chat, voice call, and video call, among others.
How did we select products? Your reviews.
At Software Advice, we consider and verify all our user reviews to recommend the most efficient tools for your business.
Our software recommendations reflect the views and experiences given by your peers. These recommendations are never bought or sold, nor based on the opinion of a single individual.
To be included in this list, products must:
- Be a part of the Medical software category, since the category includes healthcare specific products.
- Have at least 20 unique product reviews published on Software Advice within the past two years, with an average rating of 3.0 or higher.
- Meet our medical software market definition: “Medical software is a broad term that includes any systems that help manage just about every healthcare process, including billing, patient scheduling, creating and managing patient records, picture/image archiving, prescribing medication and more.”
The 10 products with the highest customer satisfaction and usability scores are featured in this article.