For schools, keeping up with student and staff inquiries and support requests can be an overwhelming task—especially when there are physical help desks or administrative counters spread across a sprawling campus.
This is precisely where help desk software for schools can help. The tool acts as a single platform for raising tickets and managing and resolving queries, and it can act as a knowledge base for users. Schools and institutions can provide support and information for any request made by staff, students, or guardians from anywhere.
Besides query management, most school help desk solutions also provide self-service portals. From there, users can access relevant notifications, view or upload documents, and raise or escalate requests in contingency situations.
What is help desk software for schools?
School help desk software is a software application that allows a school's support staff to respond to queries from students, guardians, and faculty quickly, efficient, and reliably. Most school help desk solutions integrate a centralized knowledge base where students, guardians, and faculty can easily explore frequently asked questions and their answers.
Ticket management on Deskpro
Common features of help desk software for schools
Help desk software for schools offers a wide variety of features depending upon the vendor and/or the selected bundle or subscription model. Some common features to look out for include the following.
||Open tickets and track them through to resolution. This also helps with tracking support responsiveness.
||Provides a centralized platform that responds to help or support requests, usually in the form of frequently answered questions (FAQs).
||Automatically assigns support tickets to relevant teams or departments for resolution based on the topic. Escalates support requests up a hierarchy chain according to predefined protocols.
||Enables students, staff, and guardians to create support requests. They can also track the progress of the request until it's resolved, including adding remarks or making modifications.
||Allows support staff to create school-specific or even grade-specific fields to query forms. The ability to customize forms ensures flexibility of assigning specific fields to a ticket format.
||Allows users to raise support tickets by sending an email to a designated email address. Email support tickets are logged the same as any other tickets within the system.
What type of buyer are you?
A school help desk is a useful application to have for query resolution and support. It's relevant if you are:
- A single-campus school: For a single campus with a small support desk, a help desk solution makes it easier to track and respond to incidents and requests quickly and easily, without any falling through the cracks.
- A network of schools: Such buyers usually have a dedicated central team that provides support to multiple campuses. Having a central help desk solution helps to unify the entire support process, regardless of location. This is also relevant for county and district school administrators overseeing multiple institutions.
Benefits of help desk software for schools
While the benefits of having a help desk tool for schools may have been clear by now, here's an overview of some of the most notable:
- Streamlined processes: The most important benefit of having a help desk tool for schools is reduced complexity in dealing with support requests from students and staff.
- Self-service options: A self-service portal and central knowledge base can help ensure that users find important information, even if support staff is unavailable.
- Customizations and automation: Customization of tickets and forms, as well as automated workflows increase the efficiency of support staff.
- Government education administrators can benefit from this tool by gaining access to issues and queries from areas of their jurisdiction in a few clicks.
Market trends and new features to understand
As with all software, help desk solutions for schools have evolved over the years. Here are some recent trends in the market:
- Rapid adoption of social media integrations: Some school help desk solutions have started offering integrations with social media platforms, allowing users to tag respective schools in their queries over social media. If the answer phrase is already in the knowledge base, it's answered automatically; alternatively, a new support request is raised and assigned to the support staff.
- Increasing popularity of mobile apps: An extension of the self-service portal, mobile apps allow a user to raise support tickets from mobile devices. Apps also provide access to knowledge base and important announcements on mobile devices.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) chatbots becoming commonplace: AI has seen rapid adoption in many software segments, and school help desk software is no exception. Through intelligent identification of words in queries, chatbots respond with preprogrammed answers and provide 24/7 support to students and staff.
Note: The applications selected in this article are examples to show a feature in context and are not intended as endorsements or recommendations. They have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable at the time of publication.