Repair and maintenance work is not for everyone. Fixing a broken sink, changing the door frame, installing drywall, or remodeling the basement take time, effort, and, most importantly, skill!
A handyman is someone trained to take care of such tasks. But it can be tedious finding a handyman with the right skillset and one that’s available on the desired budget. Similarly, it can get tedious for a handyman to find jobs on the market, share quotes, prepare invoices, and receive payments.
Handyman software helps tackle these challenges. It offers capabilities that help both handymen and their clients transact more efficiently.
In this buyers guide, we will take a closer look at handyman software, it’s features, benefits, and other essential details.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
What is handyman software?
Handyman software is a tool that helps handymen and handyman businesses manage everyday operations with ease. It helps carry out daily activities such as managing work orders, sharing quotes and estimates, creating invoices, and processing payments.
It also serves as a bridge between handymen and their clients. Clients can use the tool to hire the services of handymen and handymen can use it to accept orders and track details.
Repair shop admin dashboard in RepairShopr (Source)
Common features of handyman software
In this section, we’ll look at some common features of handyman software. These features will help you understand the basic capabilities a solution should ideally offer.
||Bill clients for each visit or send bulk invoices. Add materials and labor details, attach pictures, and get notified when clients view the invoice.
|Quotes and estimates
||Share quotes and estimates with clients and allow them to approve or reject quotes online. Automatically follow up with clients on outstanding quotes.
|Work order management
||Schedule jobs and create and share work orders with your team at the start of each workday or project.
||Capture clock-in/clock-out time and track the time you or your handymen team spend on each job. This makes it easier to process invoices and payroll.
||Get paid for completed jobs via payment gateways, digital wallets, credit cards, etc.
||Allow clients to e-sign approved quotes or invoices.
What type of buyer are you?
There are two major types of buyers of handyman software.
- Independent handymen: Being a single-man workforce, juggling administrative tasks such as tracking job orders, invoices, or payments while getting each job done personally is often a challenge for independent handymen. The software takes on much of the administrative responsibilities by enabling automatic tracking of jobs, time taken, payments, invoices processing, etc. to allow independent handymen to concentrate more on the actual job.
- Handyman business (handyman service provider): Handyman businesses are basically into field service management. This burdens them with the classic two-fold responsibilities: optimizing a team of handymen to keep service requests evenly distributed while keeping clients satisfied with quick service delivery. Handyman software makes managing these responsibilities easier. Businesses can track both incoming service requests and the work hours and workload of handymen. They can also easily manage payments coming in from clients and going out to handymen.
Benefits of handyman software
The following benefits enlist the business functions that are positively impacted by the tool:
- Optimize business performance: The tool offers more visibility into operations, helps track time spent on each job, and monitor the payment status for delivered services. All this helps handymen and handyman businesses get a better understanding of the business’s performance and optimize it as needed.
- Reduce turnaround time: The tool helps reduce the turnaround time for tasks such as approving quotes, sharing invoices, and signing contracts. The gained efficiency helps optimize the overall process turnaround time.
Key considerations for selecting handyman software
As the last step to selecting a tool, keep a few additional factors in mind.
- Integration with accounting software: Accounting is a necessity in every business. Whether you are an independent handyman or a handyman service provider, you should go for a tool that integrates with accounting software (such as Xero or QuickBooks). This integration will allow you to document cash flow or expenses and monitor your finances without breaking a sweat.
- Mobile app: Make sure the software offers a mobile app as it makes tracking and viewing work orders easier. It also helps manage job scheduling, view detailed customer profiles, and track unpaid invoices, all while on the field.
Note: The applications selected in this article are examples to show a feature in context and are not intended as endorsements or recommendations. They have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable at the time of publication.